My #1 Trusted Source for Biomedical Information!

April 3, 2008

"Welcome to Holland"

April is Autism Awareness Month!

I came across a beautiful piece of writing recently, and since it really represents how we feel about Alec's diagnosis, I wanted to share:

"Welcome to Holland" by Emily Perl Kingsley

When you are going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!" you say. "What do you mean, Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland, and there, you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. And you must learn a whole new language. And you meet a whole new group of people you would have never met.

It's just a different place. It's slower paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and catch your breath, you look around...and you begin to notice that Holland had windmills...and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy...and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say, "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away...because the loss of that dream is a very, very significant loss.

But...if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things...about Holland.

1 comment:

Miss Katie said...

I just started reading this blog and am so thrilled that you decided to share this story. Your understanding and openness is so moving, along with your advocacy for your son! I want to share this with everyone. I give this story, "Welcome to Holland" to every new person who starts in our classroom as well as to anyone who I think would benefit from this great metaphor. -Alec's New Teacher- Miss Katie