On May 22nd, after Alec was picked up by daddy from daycare, Alec gave him a hug and said for the first time, "I love you, Daddy!".
We have also ended the tedious process for special education preschool. Alec was evaluated last October and since then we have looked at 3 preschools. As of yesterday, Alec will be a student at one of our top choices starting this September! It's a Monday-Friday program, from 8 am - 1 pm, and their lunch program can even accomodate his special diet! We are happy and relieved parents, that he will be receiving some intense therapy sessions and great peer interaction.
Since my last set of posts, I have met several other moms with children on the autism spectrum, and have been "paying it forward" by helping them through the complicated world of special needs resources and physicians! It is very therapeutic for me to do this, and I believe it is my special gift to share.
Before my husband and I had any children, we were married for 7 years and had adopted some retired racing greyhounds. Not realizing it until now, in many ways, these very special (yet sometimes "special needs") dogs had prepared us for the special needs our son would have...
We have recently seen a HUGE jump in Alec's interaction and vocabulary, and can't wait to see what's in store for him once starting preschool. His current team of therapists have been a major part of our lives, supporting our family and our son for the past year and a half. It will be very difficult to say goodbye to them when the time comes in August... I get sad just thinking about it.
May 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment