When I picked up the kids today after work, my husband was also working in the area (he's in sales and drives a truck). For the first time, when Alec spotted the truck, he immediately said, "Daddy's Truck! Daddy's Truck!" Once the kids were both buckled into their car seats, daddy came over to the car. I rolled down Alec's window, and he looked right at his dad and said, "Hello, Daddy!". Then he said it again. This is amazing verbal progress and expression!
When we came home, he was tearing some paper into little pieces that curled. He told me that they were "Fritos" and he pretended to eat them! Again -- a huge deal, because pretend play has been a big area of concentration for Alec, and is usually an issue for children on the spectrum.
When I asked him if he wanted his pasta for dinner, he said, "No, no pasta." Then I asked, "How about your enchilada?" He quickly responded, "Yes, enchilada. Alec want enchilada." Not only did he make a clear choice for dinner, but he happily ate what he had chosen -- another big deal!
When I saw him playing with a tub toy that is a small plastic whale, I said, "Wow, look at that fishie!" -- to which my son replied, "Whale!"
When I was putting my baby daughter to bed, Alec picked up her Elmo doll. I told Alec that Elmo was sister's doll and he belongs in her crib. He quickly tossed Elmo into her crib, said "Night-Night Baby!" and walked out of her room!
This all happened in the span of an hour and a half. Just amazing!
July 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment