Several weeks ago, we had started Alec on digestive enzymes. After consulting with an Integrative Pediatrician (who is board-certified in pediatrics), she endorsed the use of plant-based enzymes to help Alec break down the food that his body is finding difficult to digest. The use of enzymes will help to heal Alec's gut/intestinal tract, but hopefully will allow us to "challenge" his GFCF diet eventually. We've heard many stories about the role of enzymes, and how some children can come off the diet eventually if their body has healed.
In the meantime, mommy built up the courage to bring Alec to an allergy-friendly restaurant. In our area, the "chain" restaurants known for catering to people with allergies/intolerance to certain foods are: Outback Steakhouse, Carabba's Italian Grill, Bonefish Grill, and Red Robin. We chose the most family-friendly place, which is Red-Robin. Alec could eat their plain hamburger, along with some fresh fruit. Having the enzymes with us to sneak into his diluted juice eliminated my fear of a cross-contamination issue.
We had to put Alec into a highchair seat, because otherwise he would have fled! He sat well and focused on coloring with crayons, which is an activity he enjoys. When our food came, I think it was the manager who brought over his meal on a bright blue plate (his plate looked the most special!). He's not a huge fan of hamburger patties, but when I cut it up, he at least tried 2 pieces (his sensory issues get in the way of him accepting certain textures). He was more interested in the fruit, which we expected.
At the end of the meal, I was on the verge of tears because Red Robin had taken such great care of us (and were properly tipped!), and it was Alec's first experience in a restaurant in well over a year since starting his special diet. Nana was with us (my mother-in-law, not to be confused with "Nonnie" who is my mom!), and she was a huge help as we coordinated this effort. Alec's little sister Dayna was with us as well, and seeing our children eating side-by-side in public was very emotional for us.
So proud of my little guy...
September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I'm so happy for you. I'm glad it was a good experience. I can relate. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment