Don't forget to visit http://www.healingautismcny.com/!
I need to share a series of e-mails that happened within just one day. In the past week, Alec has shown that he is responding well to my lastest round of supplement changes/additions.
On the morning of October 3rd, I had written:
"Most of you know that at home, Alec can't live without his "blankie" which is really just a pillowcase with Nemo & Dory on it from Finding Nemo. He really reminds us of Linus from Peanuts!
Anyway, this morning we took his blankie away before he needed to go outside for the bus, and once they were outside, Daddy reported that Alec turned and looked back at the front door, and then said, "Where's Nemo and Dory?". Seriously. It was completely appropriate and correct use of language in a COMPLETE SENTENCE!
We are still recovering from the shock, and hope that the floodgates have opened!"
Later that day, Alec's daycare provider wrote:
"Every day when Alec gets off the bus he says, "Mommy go on the bus. Daddy go on the bus." At first I went thru a period of correcting him that Mommy and Daddy don't ride on the bus. But I think he was trying to tell me that Mommy and Daddy PUT him on the bus. So I changed my response to, "Yes, Alec, Mommy and Daddy PUT you on the bus today." Today Alec got off the bus and the first thing he says is, "Daddy put on bus." Now I know that it was ONLY Daddy that put him on the bus because you sent out the e-mail about him asking where Nemo and Dory were and specifically mentioned that Daddy was putting him on the bus. So for him not to say Mommy and Daddy was 100% appropriate.
Also, at your request...I have noticed that when Alec is going thru a physical growth, either a growth spurt or learning/mastering new physical activities his verbal/cognitive responses are very lax. This also happens in reverse when he is learning/mastering new verbal skills that his physical activities are less and he is kind of lethargic and sleepy. With him being sick with Croup last week his verbal was very limited. He didn't want to speak very much. But this entire week he has been very talkative and using larger sentences. You might even say he is much more engaging when he speaks; he makes an effort to be looking at your face when he is talking with you. And the conversations are, for the most part, very appropriate. I think writing these e-mails will be a fantastic way to track how he is developing!!! This is really exciting!"
And just a few hours later, my daycare provider reports again:
"WOW!! Little Sister was at the TV pushing buttons and managed to turn the volume all the way down. Alec said, 'Mommy, no sound! Where sound?' He was very concerned and worried! So I turned it up and he was happy as can be!" Note from Mommy: Lately he is calling a lot of us Mommy because he knows I'm the one he usually asks for things! But...he has NEVER uttered the word "sound" -- let alone use it correctly!
It's just been another one of those amazing days. All those words are trapped up in Alec's noggin, and we will keep fighting to get them out!!!
October 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Yeah!
Your insights into child development are so great! As Alec makes room for new stuff, he has to unpack the old to fit in the new. I love this concept of "unpacking" and I relate it a lot to changes that happen in my life. For example, when the school year starts each year, my exercise routine goes out the window. There's just not room for it but now that it is Week 6 of the school year, I am back into the swing again. There are so many ways to think of it. As I've said before, we are so excited to be able to share in Alec's growth and progress!
Post a Comment