My #1 Trusted Source for Biomedical Information!

July 21, 2009

It's been a while...but we have progress to report (finally)!

Back in May, I took Alec to see a BioEnergetic Practitioner named Sandra Stewart. If I explained what this entails, I might be typing for a while. Basically, it's similar to homeopathy in some ways, and concentrates on energy levels within the body, and their imbalances. Also, she looks at neurotransmitters, and any imbalances there. I will add a disclaimer here that Sandra is not a physician, nor does she claim to be. She is considered a practical expert in the autism field, and has a lot of experience in the areas I have mentioned. She is also a parent of two children on the spectrum.

Sandra gave me the results and suggested a few supplements, one being a homeopathic remedy tailored to Alec's readings. OK...this part is weird, but interesting! Since birth, Alec's feet have been bright red, and either really hot or really cold. The only time in the past that this went away was when Alec had an acupuncture and accupressure treatment. After that, his feet were normal flesh colored for 24 hours after that treatment! The explanation for this could be that that area of Alec's body is trying to tell us that there is an energy blockage connected to a meridian of his body, like the liver or kidneys, etc. (I hope I am explaining this correctly!). Anyway, when you release the trapped energy, it helps that area of the body to heal. So, after implementing Sandra's recommendations, Alec's feet ARE NO LONGER BRIGHT RED!!! In addition, there are some behavioral changes that I'm about to mention later in this section...

As far as a gluten and casein free diet, Alec started this in October of 2007. We have recently tested his tolerance to eating some gluten and dairy along with high-quality digestive enzymes (Houston brand). He is now able to eat periodic non-GFCF meals that he could not tolerate before, with the right "cocktail" of enzymes. We are hoping that eventually his body may take over and start producing some of these missing digestive enzymes that the rest of us take for granted! This is definitely a step in the right direction!

Lastly, there have been several behavioral changes for the better. I must also mention here that we have started working with an ABA trained therapist, which is behavior modification, and I think that the combination is really working for Alec. He was at the doctor's for a blood draw and normally screams and needs to be held down by daddy. This time, he sat on my lap, cried as a typical child might (but for a short time), and was totally fine when it was over! Earlier that day, his occupational therapist reported that he was FAR more attentive and responsive that day than he has ever been! There are a few other events of this day, all in a string of positive behaviors...which is usually how it happens for Alec. Our goal is to have more of these behaviors more consistantly!

Our motto: "Hey, whatever works!!!"

We are out of funding to continue some of Alec's alternative therapies, and will be paring down his regimen shortly. If he starts to show that he is taking too many steps back, we will re-evaluate and continue on our path.

Hope I have more to report sooner than later! -Christina

1 comment:

gary1945 said...

I wanted to leave a comment of some sort but have not in the past because I did not want to sign up for yet another source of email.

My experience with Alec yesterday was so remarkable that I relented. However, I found out that I had already registered with Google and my old sign in email and password still worked.

I know he was probably having a good day anyway but that could not have completely explained it. His attention, as expressed in his eye contact, was quickly gained and held. He followed instructions and requests with little repetition. I don't recall him spending so much time in the same room as all the adults ever before unless there were no alternatives.

Just wanted to put that up here for all to see and, perhaps, comment upon.